(GZM) Finished 32x32 Russia Map - No units or scripts Oct 27, 2019 22:32:31 GMT 1 keepitsimple, kaoz, and 10 more like this
Post by olvie on Oct 27, 2019 22:32:31 GMT 1
(More screenshots below)
Hello BK community,
I've finished making a detailed 32x32 map that I've been treating as a pet project over the last year. I've always enjoyed playing around in the editor and about a year ago, when I had a little Blitzkrieg revival phase, I decided to start this project as a way to wind down on a free evening. I've found the process while listening to music very relaxing and truth be told, I never thought I'd finish this. To my surprise, I did, so I thought I could share it in case someone wants to make a mission with it. I've tremendously enjoyed the content this community has created and thought this could maybe bring joy to others.
The idea came after playing GZM's Sevastopol mission (which I've already praised elsewhere here). The map blew my mind with its design, use of space and level of detail. This, along with some of the beautiful maps featured on this site, inspired me to try something similar on a 32x32 canvas. The goal for this project was to make the map look realistic and believable, and use the plentiful space to create vast and diverse landscapes that have been somewhat lacking in vanilla BK. However, this was never intended to be a playable map, and I did not create it with any particular mission or layout in mind, nor did I pay any attention to gameplay and playabilty.
While attention to detail was definitely a huge part of the process, and I've tried to give every inch of the map some attention, the result may not always be perfect. After finishing the last corner of the map, I actually went back and spent hours reworking the first areas I made, as they were not consistent with the style I developed as I progressed. This includes reworking every part of the map that was made with the help of zoning tools (because turns out zoning tools are ugly), replacing a metric ton of flora and terrain items that didn't fit the rest, redoing villages and moving a billion trees around in generated forests. There are probably still some parts that need a retouch, but at this point I just need to upload this, otherwise this will become a case of "it's never fully finished yet". All in all, I have found it very fun and therapeutic to do this, almost like painting maybe, but after a crazy amount amount of hours spent on this, I need to move on from this project.
- The map is set in Russia in Summer after a light rain. It features a large city, smaller towns, villages, grain fields, dense forests, a mine, a grain elevator complex, a military complex and a large factory.
- There are no units, except for a very small number of neutral civilian vehicles. There are no civilian squads such as animals.
- There are no trenches, bunkers or other items that would imply a frontline. A mission could be designed in any layout or direction.
- There are no traces of war, except for the few landmark buildings that only exist as damaged sprites (eg. the grain elevator). In those cases, the surrounding area is made to look like it was targeted by aerial bombing.
- All bridges and railroads are tested and work (although at certain parts trains "skip" a bit, I suspect it's because of track placement but I can't seem to be able to fix it completely)
- The only acute problem is the randomly changing opacity of terrain objects, eg. shell craters are sometimes on top of, sometimes covered by the rubble I've placed next to them, which is really annoying. This seems to change with every time the map is loaded and I haven't found a way to fix which layer a certain terrain object is. If you tell me there is one, I will post a fixed version. Otherwise, if you see any random piles of stones on the map, there's probably a crater beneath it.
- I made this in GZM 7.77, as that was the latest available version when I started. I really hope it is compatible with newer GZM versions..? I haven't downloaded the newest one yet, so I haven't been able to test it unfortunately.
- Last but not least: performance. The map takes a very long time to load, both in the editor and in-game. Do allow at least 5 minutes for it to load, if you have a slower PC maybe even 10. The map has never crashed on me yet, so don't assume your game has crashed if you see no loading progress. I hope you will find that the wait is worth it though. I don't know what the item count is, but I was really worried about hitting an item limit, which fortunately hasn't happened. Performance in-game is fine, but I have a relatively fast PC, so I can't speak for everyone. Also it remains to be seen how performance changes if there are many units on the map.
Please feel free to download the .XML and check it out yourself. You are free to change anything on the map, and upload any finished mission as your own, or to include it in your campaign/mod. I only ask you to let me know in this thread, so that I can play your mission.
In the meantime, I've had the idea to make this a multiplayer map so I can play it with a friend, but I would need to learn how to script such a map. I might check back here and ask for help on this matter...
Thanks for reading and enjoy.
Download (.xml, 41.94mb): www.mediafire.com/file/3wbhsrq5filqlw3/zz_32x32_project_final.xml/file
(if you prefer the .bzm file, let me know)